2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD High Country – Tougher, Stronger And More Capable Pickup – The latest Silverado HD wears a more chiseled space that creates a tough look. Chevrolet provides our first official look at the next-gen 2020 Silverado HD pickup ahead of the truck’s full debut in February 2019. The heavy-duty hauler will go upon sale in the center of bordering year.
The 2020 Silverado HD has an eye-catching, potentially even polarizing look. The Bowtie says that the roof is the single-handedly part shared subsequent to the less tough Silverado 1500. A omnipresent mesh grille now dominates the front end, and there’s no guessing what company makes this robot because “Chevrolet” appears in the holes in the bar that spans the center of the grille. The chiseled hood features a subtle, chrome-trimmed scoop. At the back, a step integrates into the rear bumper for easier entry to the bed.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD High Country – Drive and Design. Subscribe.
2020 Silverado HD highlights:
– New, more powerful 6.6L V-8 gas engine with direct injection for greater performance and stronger trailering capability with 22 percent more torque and up to 18 percent more towing compared to previous 6.0L gas engine.
– All-new Allison® 10-speed automatic transmission is matched with the available Duramax 6.6L V-8 Turbo-Diesel engine for a 52 percent increase in max towing to 35,500 pounds on properly equipped models.
– Autotrac active two-speed transfer case on 4×4 models electronically controls “4 Auto” mode, allowing the truck to seamlessly shift between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive based on road conditions.
– Advanced Trailering System technologies and new transparent trailer view: The in-vehicle trailering system features an available total of 15 available camera views (requires an installed accessory camera), such as HD Surround Vision1 and other unique views including a transparent trailer feature to help provide added confidence when towing. Also features increased integration with the myChevrolet mobile app2.
– HD-exclusive sculpted exterior design features the most differentiation from the Silverado 1500 ever — the roof is the only shared sheetmetal.
– Heavy-duty details designed to make work easier and more intuitive, including features such as an easy-access engine block heater outlet, easy-to-fill diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank with opening inside the fuel door, a more integrated snow plow prep package and new, advanced trailering mirrors with available spot lamps and more.
– BedStep feature and larger CornerSteps makes it easier to load or reach items in the cargo box, which is designed to hold a pair of size-12 boots and up to 500 pounds.
– Larger cab enables more spacious interiors with Crew Cab models adding about 3 inches in overall length.
The 2020 Silverado HD increases towing capability across the lineup compared to 2019. This greater capability is driven by chassis and suspension enhancements and new propulsion combinations that work seamlessly to offer confident performance with great durability, particularly when towing. An enhanced version of the Silverado HD’s sturdy, proven ladder-frame design, with boxed rails that improve strength and contribute to a smooth ride, is the foundation for the new truck. It’s a heavier-duty frame compared to the current model, designed to handle the truck’s higher loads, including a higher gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCWR) of up to 43,500 pounds on properly equipped trucks.
To handle the increased towing capability, the upgraded driveline includes new, larger, more robust front and rear axles, a standard 11.5-inch ring gear on 2500HD models, and a massive 12-inch ring gear on 3500HD diesel models. Also, 30-percent larger-diameter prop shafts provide greater strength with the high torque output of the new 6.6L gas engine and the Duramax Turbo-Diesel. Helping cool the Duramax engine is a massive 28-inch diameter fan with variable fan speed – 2.5-inches larger than the current fan.
More than 90 percent of heavy-duty truck owners use their truck for trailering, making it one of the most important considerations for customers, with safety, confidence and visibility their top concerns when towing. The 2020 Silverado HD delivers with an Advanced Trailering System designed to make every aspect of towing easier and more convenient.
The 2020 Silverado HD offers up to 15 unique camera views, including HD Surround Vision, Bed View, an industry-first transparent trailer view, and an accessory camera. The transparent trailer view helps with visibility through the trailer as if the trailer was not there providing added confidence when towing. The transparent trailer helps with navigating parking lots, merging into traffic or when making tight turns. It uses two cameras — one tailgate-mounted camera and an available accessory camera (installation required) mounted on the rear of the trailer — to provide a wide display that helps the driver to virtually see through and alongside the trailer.
A new 6.6L V-8 gas engine elevates the 2020 Silverado HD’s standard performance and capability, now with gasoline direct injection. Built on a cast-iron Small Block for long-term durability with aluminum heads, it delivers more precise fuel control that enables a higher compression ratio of 10.8:1 for greater power output of 401 hp with strong performance at low rpm where it’s needed when pulling away with a loaded cargo box or trailer. It also features a forged steel crankshaft, forged powder-metal connecting rods and additional high-strength components to provide the added strength and durability demanded by HD customers.