2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD – Advanced Trailering Technology – The latest Silverado HD wears a more chiseled tone that creates a tough look. Chevrolet provides our first credited see at the next-gen 2020 Silverado HD pickup ahead of the truck’s full debut in February 2019. The heavy-duty hauler will go on sale in the center of bordering year.
The 2020 Silverado HD has an eye-catching, potentially even polarizing look. The Bowtie says that the roof is the without help part shared in the manner of the less tough Silverado 1500. A huge mesh grille now dominates the front end, and there’s no guessing what company makes this machine because “Chevrolet” appears in the holes in the bar that spans the center of the grille. The chiseled hood features a subtle, chrome-trimmed scoop. At the back, a step integrates into the rear bumper for easier entry to the bed.
Chevrolet debuted the full lineup of its all-new 2020 Silverado HD — the strongest, most capable Silverado HD ever. Max towing capability increases an enormous 52 percent to an available 35,500 pounds. It is also the third all-new Silverado in just 18 months, each designed for different customers.
“We set out to make the best HD trucks on the market, bar none,” said Jaclyn McQuaid, chief engineer, Silverado HD. “We increased towing capabilities across the line, not just for dually buyers. We added class-leading towing technologies, such as 15 available camera views, to make trailering more convenient, whether pulling a large cargo trailer or fifth-wheel camper. And we made a host of changes to make tasks easier.”
Built at the Flint Assembly plant in Flint, Michigan, the all-new 2020 Silverado HD is longer, wider and taller than its predecessor with a wheelbase that’s been stretched 5.2 inches on Crew Cab models and is scaled for HD customers. The Silverado HD will be available in five distinct trim levels — Work Truck, Custom, LT, LTZ and High Country — available across 22 cab, bed, chassis and driveline configurations.
Customers can choose between two new powertrains. The standard engine is a new 6.6L V-8 gas with direct injection making 401 hp and 464 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. That’s an 11 percent increase in horsepower and a 22 percent increase in peak torque, respectively, resulting in 18 percent more towing capability.
Then there’s the legendary Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V-8 engine making 445 hp and 910 lb-ft of torque coupled with an all-new Allison 10-speed automatic transmission. In addition, every component between the transmission and the wheels has been upgraded to enable an available 52-percent increase in max towing capability — now up to 35,500 pounds on Regular Cab, two-wheel drive, DRW, diesel models.
2020 Silverado HD highlights:
▪ New, more powerful 6.6L V-8 gas engine with direct injection for greater performance and stronger trailering capability with 22 percent more torque and up to 18 percent more towing compared to previous 6.0L gas engine.
▪ All-new Allison 10-speed automatic transmission is matched with the available Duramax 6.6L V-8 Turbo-Diesel engine for a 52 percent increase in max towing to 35,500 pounds on properly equipped models.
▪ Autotrac active two-speed transfer case on 4×4 models electronically controls “4 Auto” mode, allowing the truck to seamlessly shift between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive based on road conditions.
▪ Advanced Trailering System technologies and new transparent trailer view: The in-vehicle trailering system features an available total of 15 available camera views (requires an installed accessory camera), such as HD Surround Vision1 and other unique views including a transparent trailer feature to help provide added confidence when towing. Also features increased integration with the myChevrolet mobile app.
▪ HD-exclusive sculpted exterior design features the most differentiation from the Silverado 1500 ever — the roof is the only shared sheetmetal.
▪ Heavy-duty details designed to make work easier and more intuitive, including features such as an easy-access engine block heater outlet, easy-to-fill diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank with opening inside the fuel door, a more integrated snow plow prep package and new, advanced trailering mirrors with available spot lamps and more.
▪ BedStep feature and larger CornerSteps makes it easier to load or reach items in the cargo box, which is designed to hold a pair of size-12 boots and up to 500 pounds.
▪ Larger cab enables more spacious interiors with Crew Cab models adding about 3 inches in overall length.
2020 Silverado HD Specifications:
▪ Length/width/height/wheelbase Regular Cab – 235.5/81.9/79.8/141.5 in (5,982/2,079/2,027/3,595 mm)
▪ Length/width/height/wheelbase Double Cab – 240.4/81.9/79.8/149.4 in (6,107/2,079/2,027/3,795 mm)
▪ Length/width/height/wheelbase Crew Cab – 250/81.9/79.8/158.9 in (6,349/2,079/2,027/4,037 mm)
▪ Curb weight – 6,092-8,018 lb (2,763-3,637 kg)
▪ Engine – 6.6-liter, 8-cyliner (V8), petrol
▪ Max output – 401 hp (299 kW) at 5,200 rpm
▪ Max torque – 464 lb-ft (629 Nm) at 4,000 rpm
▪ Transmission – 6-speed automatic
▪ Engine – 6.6-liter, 8-cyliner (V8), turbo diesel
▪ Max output – 445 hp (332 kW) at 2,800 rpm
▪ Max torque – 910 lb-ft (1,234 Nm) at 1,600 rpm
▪ Transmission – 10-speed automatic